Carl A. Hummel
One of Jeffersontown’s Most Outstanding Citizens
Writer / Beth Wilder, Director Jeffersontown Historical Museum
Carl Asa Hummel was born in Jeffersontown November 8, 1888 and was one of the area’s most outstanding citizens. He was educated in Jeffersontown’s common school and later graduated from Bryant & Stratton Business School in book-keeping and business practice. He took a correspondence course in architecture and served four years as a draftsman for Balke & Co. Iron Works in Louisville, later becoming head draftsman.
In 1913, Hummel was hired as bookkeeper and advertising manager for The Jeffersonian newspaper on the town square. In addition to that, he wrote ads for many of the Louisville firms that patronized the newspaper. A 1916 article touting Jeffersontown’s most prominent citizens noted his “pleasing personality” and that he took an active interest in the town’s welfare. He was an officer and taught Sunday School at the Jeffersontown Methodist Church, and he was a member of the Masonic Lodge, Odd Fellows and Modern Woodmen of America fraternal orders. He also served as trustee for the Jeffersontown school district in 1930 and was instrumental in the organization of the Jeffersontown Community Fair.
Hummel’s primary claim to fame early on was for his work at The Jeffersonian. By 1918, he was co-publisher along with T.R. Jones, becoming publisher in 1945. In 1951, he sold his interests in the paper to Tommy Jones, although he continued to work as editor for the paper until 1959.
By the 1940s, he was a stockholder and director of the Jeffersontown Food Locker Plant on College Drive. He was also chairman of the Jefferson County Good Government Committee, which sought to maintain the highest efficiency in the county police department by encouraging the public to respect the law, cooperate with the police and “get acquainted with the patrolmen in your neighborhood. Let them know you are behind them.” He eventually served as Jeffersontown Police Judge.
Hummel began working as secretary-treasurer for the Jeffersontown Water and Sewerage Commission in 1942, and he was part of the board that helped create the “new” $368,000 disposal plant that was located off Chenoweth Run Road, as well as a larger water line along Taylorsville Road to assure the growing population of ample water. After Carl completed his 40 years’ service as editor of The Jeffersonian in 1959, he devoted full time to the commission as general manager. By 1967, Hummel had semi-retired, although he still continued his job as secretary-treasurer and “general flunkey.”
Carl married Anna Weibel in 1914. She was in failing health for many years and unfortunately passed away in 1952. At the time of his own death, Carl left behind another wife, Lula, and three children: Elizabeth, Sarah and William. They resided in the lovely two-story home ,which still stands at 10522 Old Taylorsville Road.
Carl Hummel passed away in 1968 at age 81, having lived a long and full life as one of Jeffersontown’s leading citizens. According to a 1967 Jeffersonian article, “Carl is one of many people who can’t retire. Forty years as an editor, 25 years as a utility official and as many years in civic affairs just won’t allow a man to sit at home all day.”
It is because of men like this, who have devoted themselves so deeply to every aspect of life in Jeffersontown, that our city has grown and prospered over the years, and we are grateful for the service and dedication of each and every one of them.