Geist Goes Pink Way Beyond the Race

Fundraising events like the Project Pink Fashion Show at Bella Vita in September help Susan G. Komen of Central Indiana raise necessary funds year round.

When many local residents hear the word, “Komen,” they immediately think of the Komen Central Indiana Race for the Cure that takes place in April. It’s the largest one day fundraising event in Indiana and is considered as one of the largest Komen Races in the world. The 2014 race will be held April 12.

“Although it raises the majority of our funds, we’re more than an April race. We work to raise and grant funds all year,” says Komen Communications and Fundraising Coordinator Elise LeBlanc. Although Komen headquarters is located in Dallas, 75 percent of proceeds in Indy fund breast health services in our 21-county service area. The remaining 25 percent of proceeds fund global research seeking the causes, improved treatments and cures for breast cancer.

What Can We Do to Help Our Community?

We can help support breast cancer and raise awareness within our community all year round. We can get involved by doing the following:

  • Host Lunch & Learns – Komen can arrange for brief or longer (up to an hour) presentations about breast cancer and breast health maintenance. These are perfect for an organization’s wellness initiatives.
  • Share Educational Materials – Komen will gladly send pink ribbons, breast health self-awareness cards, brochures and other types of information relevant to a particular group or age such as book clubs, luncheons and group gatherings. Materials may include breast cancer symptoms, changes you need to look for and questions to ask your doctor.
  • Donate for Financial Assistance – Komen funds 14 breast health programs in Central Indiana to provide services for low-income, uninsured and underinsured women. This broad spectrum of care includes screenings, diagnostics, treatment assistance and survivor support.

Triple the Fun in Supporting Our Community

Businesses and organizations can help accomplish three missions in one fundraising event. First they can help raise breast cancer awareness as they become involved in the community. Second they can donate proceeds to Komen to help save lives. Third they can help the organization’s bottom line by stimulating interest and support from the community. Here are some examples:

  • Yoplait & General Mills – People can save lids to save lives by collecting at home, school, church and work. (
  • Pink Out Games – Schools can host games and activities. Sports teams can sell T-shirts.
  • Pink Day Discount at Edinburgh Premium Outlet Mall – For a $10 donation at the front office, Edinburgh Premium Outlets will give you a discount book to be used at participating stores October 26-27.
  • Events & Fundraisers – People can attend various events in October to help raise funds for local services and global research. (

Go to if you would like to host a fundraiser and need materials, logos, etc. You can also learning more about becoming a volunteer or sponsor.

Latest Geist Stories

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Send me your media kit!

hbspt.forms.create({ portalId: "6486003", formId: "5ee2abaf-81d9-48a9-a10d-de06becaa6db" });