Plainfield Chamber Continues to Foster Local Growth and Solidarity
Story & Photography Provided by the Plainfield Chamber of Commerce
Recently, a couple stopped by the Plainfield Chamber of Commerce office to pick up some information on Plainfield. The couple grew up here and had just moved back after having been away for nearly 40 years. They were simply amazed at how much the town had grown.
According to 2020 Census data, Hendricks County is the third fastest-growing county in Indiana. Plainfield, Avon and Brownsburg are all in the top 15 fastest-growing cities and towns.
With a population of nearly 35,000, Plainfield is the largest town in Hendricks County. The continued growth of the town can be attributed to the value its residents place on community, quality education, and the diverse industrial, commercial and business sectors.
Years ago the Plainfield Town Council decided on a strategy for creating an industrial and commercial district at the east end of the town near Indianapolis International Airport. The strategy has paid off.
During the 1990s the district established itself as one of the premier sites not only in the central Indiana area, but also the entire Midwest. In the last 10 years this reputation has led to tremendous growth in Plainfield in commercial, industrial and residential development.
According to the latest statistics posted by Indianapolis Business Journal, Plainfield has four of the largest industrial parks in the Indianapolis area, including Airwest Business Park, AmeriPlex, AirTech Park and AllPoints Midwest. Located just 15 minutes from downtown Indianapolis and Indianapolis International Airport, the Plainfield Business Center is home to prime industrial space.
The Plainfield Chamber is proud to have played an important role in this development. The chamber has helped lead a pro-business attitude that has brought cohesiveness to our business community and encouraged growth among members. Along with the Town of Plainfield and the Hendricks County Economic Development Partnership, we have helped both large and small businesses get a start in Plainfield.
Most people are often surprised to learn that chambers are not government agencies, and receive no state, federal or county funds. In a nutshell, chambers are not-for-profit agencies whose purpose is to provide services to their membership and promote business, economic development and involvement in the community.
Some of the functions of the Plainfield Chamber of Commerce include the following:
• Serving members and the public, including welcoming tourists and new members of the community. The chamber distributes welcome bags to all new and relocating residents quarterly.
• Supporting and promoting local businesses and services. The chamber’s online directory averages more than 6,500,000 business and organization referrals per year.
• Offering networking and education opportunities for members, including monthly member meetings, small groups and after-hour events.
• Offering scholarships to new and continuing college students.
• Acting as the community “mailroom,” distributing business and community information.
• Presenting the Quaker Day Parade each September, featuring more than 100 entries. The chamber also donates the proceeds of the parade to a charitable cause in the community.
• Purchasing, maintaining and installing Christmas lights for the town of Plainfield.
• Operating the Plainfield Farmers’ Market, offering fresh, healthy products and information to the community. The market is held each year from June through September on the lawn of the Plainfield Friends Church.
Plainfield has been the right fit for a large number of businesses. If you’re looking for a place to start a business, whether your project is large or small, or looking for a quality community to relocate your family, let the chamber help you discover that Plainfield is a great place to live, work and establish a business. Give us a call at 317-839-3800 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit plainfield-in.com for more info.