Tips of the Trade
Writer/ Julie Yates
Cottingham Concrete (Brad Cottingham)
Maintain Your Concrete to Protect Your Investment
- Fix hairline cracks and chips before they become an even bigger problem.
- Power washing is key to prep surface and remove dirt before sealing.
- Wait at least 24 hours after power washing to allow drying before sealing.
- Use a quality sealant to penetrate the concrete and protect it from surface damage, corrosion, and staining.
- Too much sealer will yellow your investment and it’s costly to get it stripped off.
Custom Moves Real Estate (Nicci Perkins)
Tips of the Trade to find Your Dream House!
- Get prequalified before making an offer because other buyers will be.
- Be open minded; your criteria changes when you get out there.
- Do not rush if you don’t have to; don’t make a rash decision- look around.
- Don’t look at homes you can’t afford- you ‘ll just be disappointed.
- Use a realtor even if you are buying a For Sale by Owner, a realtor is free to buyers.
Freshen Up Your House to Sell it This Spring!
- Do your spring cleaning! Clean gutters, vents, patio furniture and check smoke detectors.
- First impressions count- add plants and colorful pillows to patio furniture.
- Clean windows, repair screens and refresh caulk to let the light in and make the house look well maintained.
- A new coat of paint makes the house look clean.
- Remove winter clutter and add simple things like a new shower curtain or bright table runners.
- Bring the outside in; put flowers on the table.
- Have a realtor walk through the house. A pair of fresh eyes will notice things you don’t.
Cone and Daughter Lawn Care (Bill Cone)
Keep Your Lawn Beautiful This Spring and Beyond
- Every other year roll and then aerate your lawn.
- Keep your yard at 3 ½” to 4”- it shades the dirt which keeps it wet and helps the grass stay green and fresh.
- Four times a year, check for grubs, the larva of Japanese beetles, which attack grass and plants
- Spring is the best time to plant shrubs because they don’t need to be watered as much.
- Keep dead leaves and sticks out of grass to prevent it from dying underneath.
Fuel Church (Jessica Petty)
Ways to Worship at Home
- Before you begin, make sure all cell phones are on silent and out of the room you’re going to worship in.
- Tune into an online service, but just don’t watch- participate by singing, standing and praying.
- Choose a chapter from the book of Psalms and write it out as your own prayer to God, inserting your own praises and requests to the Lord.
- Make a date with Jesus to just sit and have some quiet time with Him, resting and listening.
- Take communion. You can use plain ole crackers and grape juice.
- Read from the Bible and make it a holy moment unto God.
Be Prepared in a Competitive Sellers’ Market
- Present your offer with a credible, preapproval in hand- especially one from a local lender with a good reputation.
- Be ready to make an offer non-contingent; the seller is more likely to choose your offer.
- Don’t waste time with indecisiveness; sellers get multiple offers and if know what you want, put in the offer right away.
- Write a personal letter to accompany your offer that tells the sellers why this is the perfect home for you and your family; sentiment can make a difference.
- Include an escalation clause that states you’ll pay a certain dollar amount over any other offer submitted.
White Lilies in Paradise (Susan Perry)
Add Flowers to Your Home to Improve Your Quality of Life
- Place easy care green plants such as peace lily, fiddle leaf fir and pothos in living areas to increase oxygen levels, boost focus and reduce stress.
- Bring life to your kitchen and improve your cooking with little pots of edible herbs.
- Beautify your home and make it more inviting with a bouquet of flowers on your counter.
- Deflect the musty smell in your bathroom by hanging up a bundle of eucalyptus; it also fights irritability, chronic fatigue, depression and insomnia.
- Refresh your bedroom with a lavender plant; its aroma reduces stress, smells clean and helps you sleep better.
Urban Homestead (Kindra Tragesser)
Tips of the Trade: How to Decorate from the Floor Up!
- Pick your flooring first- hardwood or engineered flooring is timeless!
- Paint your walls in neutral hues; it updates a room.
- Don’t be afraid to choose neutral furniture; today’s fabrics such as Sunbrella and Crypton are kid proof.
- Select canned or recessed lighting which never goes out of style. Change out dated hanging fixtures.
- Add color and trendiness with accessories- they are easy to replace when styles change.
Gaffney Insurance Agency (Michael Gasaway)
Get Great Insurance Coverage at an Economical Price
- Work with an independent insurance agency that can offer multiple carriers to have ability to compare plans and prices.
- Have a good credit score to ensure your insurance score is optimal.
- Bundle your home and auto insurance together to maximize discounts.
- Check auto insurance when buying home; you are experiencing a life changing event so evaluate all your coverage.
- Look for a local agent; if something were to happen you have ability to deal with a real person you know and not an 800 number.
North Central Outdoor Power (Brad Zeck)
Tips of the Trade: Get Your Mower Ready for Spring and Summer
- Change the oil and replace the oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.
- Put in new spark plug(s).
- Sharpen the blades.
- Clean underneath the deck shelf; scrape out old debris to make sure your mower can do a good job.
- Inspect all belts for cracks or even chunks missing from them.
- Check the air pressure in the tires- if tires are uneven your mowing will be too.
- Tighten all bolts and replace any that may have fallen out.