Spring is Almost Here!
Provided by Witham Health Services
Spring is almost here. There is always something motivating and inspiring to see the landscape come alive again. It’s also a great time to reflect on where the past year took you and where this next year may take you next. You are the captain of your ship, so 2023 is your choices, your decisions and hopefully YOUR YEAR! However, with so much conflicting information out there, it can seem a bit overwhelming. The health and fitness industry can be full of fads and false promises. There is no easy way to get healthy. If there was, we would sure all do it! There is also no pill that will wipe away poor lifestyle choices. We have to fuel our bodies like we fuel our vehicles, with good clean ingredients. Although the occasional indulgence is absolutely ok! Enjoy that birthday cake; just get right back on track with your next meal. There is no road map to perfect health, but we do have some really solid guidelines to go by.
If you want to get in the best shape of your life in 2023 keep reading…
- Get 80% of your calories from single ingredient nutrient dense foods. (spinach, broccoli, sweet potatoes, salmon, etc.)
- Avoid processed foods as much as possible because they are addictive, void of nutrients and leave you feeling low on energy & stamina.
- Drink half your bodyweight in ounces of water each and every day!
- Lift weights 2-4 times per week. Use progressive overload to build muscle. (Progressive overload is simply doing more through reps, weight or frequency) Muscle is MAGIC!
- Eat .8-1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. This helps you build and retain muscle. Eat protein with every meal!
- Focus on creating good habits in regards to a healthy lifestyle. Focus on the daily habits, not the outcome.
- Eat your meals on a schedule. This will help train your hunger and circadian rhythms. Intermittent fasting is fine, but that first meal of the day sets the tone, so whatever time it occurs MAKE IT FULL OF NUTRIENTS!
- Replace snacking with water and drink it before meals. You usually want to snack because you’re bored or dehydrated. Water also helps you feel full and increases energy!
- You become the average of the 5 people you hang around most. Choose wisely.
- Eat to 80% fullness. Eat your meals slower and more mindfully. Leave a bit of room and avoid getting stuffed with every meal.
- Create a habit to get at least 8-10K steps a day. This improves your health, burn calories, speeds recovery, decreases stress and improves your cognitive function. Get your steps in by walking in the morning, after meals and doing walking meetings when possible.
- Learn how to manage your emotions without food, drugs or alcohol. The more you numb yourself with substances the more they come back to haunt you. Find out why you eat your stress or emotions, then work to heal that part of you so you can deal with them in healthy ways. Our emotions are designed to inform us, not direct us. Don’t worry about outcomes, focus on the process. Take measurable steps and use analytics to get you there.
- Fix your sleeping habits. Sleep helps you recover, increases energy and controls your appetite. Sleep is YOUR super power! Try no food for 3 hours, no liquids for 2 hours and no screen time for one hour before bed.
- BE PATIENT with yourself. Stop trying to rush the process. Start thinking long-term and give yourself grace.
- Be grateful for what your body CAN do. It’s doing what it can to keep you alive.
Witham Wellness is always here to support your journey to living your best life. With our Tai Chi for Health classes, Yoga, SilverSneakers, Cooking for Wellness, FightSmart and our Rock Steady Boxing program, there is sure to be something for everyone! We hope to see you at Witham Health Services real soon!